Aerotransportes Litoral Argentino Douglas C-47A, LV-GHZ (c/n 25354/13909), at Buenos Aires Aeroparque (AEP) in 1968. Note the two other ALA C-47's in the background. (Phil Perry Collection)
Aerotransportes Litoral Argentino (ALA) was founded in 1957 in Rosario, Santa Fe province, Argentina's third-largest city, to operate flights with four Aero Commander 680 Supers from Rosario (ROS) to Buenos Aires Aeroparque (AEP) and northern points. In 1958, the carrier bought four C-47's from Panair do Brasil and added two more in 1959, the above pictured example being one of the latter. Compania Austral de Transportes Aereos SACI purchased a 30% share of ALA in 1966 with the two airlines fully merging in 1971 to form the present-day Austral Lineas Aereas.
LV-GHZ was built and initially delivered to the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) on 14Jul44 as 43-48093 and went on to fly with a couple of smaller U.S. carriers and possibly Pan American World Airways as NC75737 before entering service with Mexicana de Aviacion as XA-GUJ on 28Jan48.
LV-GHZ was involved in a bizarre incident on 24Sep52 when a bomb was set to go off on a timer inflight with the objective of killing the 8 people on board and collecting life insurance on them. The bomb apparently went off but the scheme failed with no injuries.
The aircraft went on to join ALA on 11Sep59 where it flew until 1969 and was involved in two incidents; in Catamarca (CTC) on 16Feb60 where it was partially damaged and at Buenos Aires Aeroparque (AEP) where it was involved in a ground collision with a De Havilland Dove on 11Sep67. The aircraft's final days were spent in private ownership before it was withdrawn from use and scrapped in 1972.
La Historia de ALA, Segunda Parte: La Etapa Porteña by Marcelo W. Miranda y Pablo L. Potenze via uala.org.ar